Sunday, November 21, 2010

Major YUM!

Brandon and I have noticed that we often eat the same things every week so I decided to spend part of the day searching for some new recipes before we went grocery shopping this afternoon. I decided to make a really yummy shrimp alfredo for dinner tonight and it was SO yummy! I made enough to feed an army so Brandon is bringing some for his brother to have for lunch tomorrow and we are going to have it for dinner again tomorrow night haha. It was so yummy that I thought I would share the recipe with all of you (all 2 or 3 of you that read this!) ;-)

SPICY SHRIMP ALFREDO
12 ounces penne pasta
1/4 cup butter
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 red bell pepper, diced
1/2 pound portobello mushrooms, diced
1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 (15 ounce) jar Alfredo sauce
1/2 cup grated Romano cheese
1/2 cup cream
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or more to taste
Salt and pepper to taste

1.Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook until al dente; drain.

2.Meanwhile, melt butter together with the olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir in onion, and cook until softened and translucent, about 2 minutes. Stir in garlic, red pepper, and mushroom; cook over medium-high heat until soft, about 2 minutes more.

3.Stir in the shrimp, and cook until firm and pink, then pour in Alfredo sauce, Romano cheese, and cream; bring to a simmer stirring constantly until thickened, about 5 minutes. Season with cayenne, salt, and pepper to taste. Stir drained pasta into the sauce, and serve sprinkled with chopped parsley.

I am normally not a fan of Alfredo sauce from a jar, I prefer to make my own. However, I love the idea of using the jar of sauce since it is quick and easy and then adding a few things to make it more yummy. I also bought a bag of frozen, raw shrimp that was already deveined and with the tails off so that saved me a good chunk of time as well. I used parmesan instead of romano cheese. Also, it was definitely a SPICY dish so if you dont like spice, I would use 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper-or less. I used the whole teaspoon of cayenne. B and I like it spicy wink wink.. (KIDDING! Hi Mom!) Oh, and the sauce was a little runny so I ended up adding about a tablespoon of cornstarch to some water and mixed it into the sauce to thicken it up.

Overall I rate this dish a 10 outta 10 for sure and will definitely be making this often. I bet it would even be yummy with chicken instead of shrimp!




My tummy is so full!

Whats for dessert?

PS. Next time I cook this meal, I will get to cook in this kitchen:

1 comment:

  1. Sounds yummy! I will try it with less spice [thanks for thinking of me in your post :o) ]

    Wheels

    ReplyDelete